cartoon

















IMPORTANT NOTE:
You do NOT have to register to read, post, listen or contribute. If you simply wish to remain fully anonymous, you can still contribute.





Enter what you see:
This image contains a scrambled text, it is using a combination of colors, font size, background, angle in order to disallow computer to automate reading. You will have to reproduce it to post on my homepage Tip: Reload page if you have difficulty reading characters
Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
King of Hits
Home arrow Forums
Messageboards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Not sure about our draw for the World Cup
Go to bottomPost New TopicPost Reply
TOPIC: Not sure about our draw for the World Cup
#169626
Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago Karma: 50
I love Tunisia of course and Belgium can be surprisingly good with one of the best players in the world at the moment. Meanwhile Morocco should beat Iran but will have a challenge with both Spain and Portugal.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169628
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago  
What surprises/intrigues me is neighbours Portugal and Spain in the same group.

Fractious relationships for centuries - including the Peninsular and Napoleonic wars.

Even Wellington got involved - and both countries discovered most of the new world.

Their languages still survive in so many countries - although they're both long gone.


Now Ronaldo will meet his team mates early in the tournament - which will totally immerse the Iberian peninsular...


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169629
Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago Karma: 50
Could be good news for little Morocco as the two giants knock each other out.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169630
Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago Karma: 50
I went to the World Cup game in Marseilles in the 90s when England played Tunisia - as guest of Tunisia (for being a good friend to the country) - had a brilliant time - David Beckham was playing.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169632
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago  
England's first game is against Tunisia.

The result will set the scene for the group.


And goals will be scarce, with so much to lose.

Defending will be critical and draws - in the group - common place.


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169633
Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago Karma: 50
I shall be rooting for both underdogs - Tunisia and Morocco - above England.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169637
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago  
As an ex-amateur/mediocre and lower league player, I have always remained neutral - but am fascinated by skill.

Thierry Henri, Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Best, Beckham, Neymar, Maradonna, Giggs, Moore, Mathews had everything.

Increased fitness levels have raised the bar - but we're likely to see a few new chaps approaching their levels. Unlikely British, because the EPL has nearly 70% foreign players.


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169640
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago  
Skill is -


..not having to watch the ball at your feet, when running with it

..knowing who is behind you, and their probable intentions

..frequently seeing your team players, in a better place, to pass to

.. getting into vacant territory, to allow easy receipt of a ball/pass

..analysing opposition weaknesses, and strengths

..encouraging team mates; ignoring all others



 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169649
tdf
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago Karma: 0
JK2006 wrote:
I went to the World Cup game in Marseilles in the 90s when England played Tunisia - as guest of Tunisia (for being a good friend to the country) - had a brilliant time - David Beckham was playing.

Interesting.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169657
andrew

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 5 Days ago  
Spee wrote:
As an ex-amateur/mediocre and lower league player, I have always remained neutral - but am fascinated by skill.

Thierry Henri, Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Best, Beckham, Neymar, Maradonna, Giggs, Moore, Mathews had everything.

Increased fitness levels have raised the bar - but we're likely to see a few new chaps approaching their levels. Unlikely British, because the EPL has nearly 70% foreign players.




May I ask you what team/s youb played for,Spee?

It makes a nice change that we don't have Sweden.

Yes we should get passed the group stage but then we will get knocked out and then papers/public will moan for days.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169681
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 4 Days ago  
Andrew - I played in the lower divisions of the Isthmian and Southern leagues. And soon discovered my glaring limitations.

However, the comraderie was great - and I still meet (and go to games with) many chaps I played with. Followed by a beer, or 6.

End of season tours - of Italy, Germany, France etc. - were high points, though lasting only a week or so. My first international sojourns.

To me sport - whatever one(s) catch your fancy - has a place in everyone's life, even if for some reason, you are unable to compete.


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169684
andrew

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 4 Days ago  
Can you tell me what teams as I used to follow them leagues for years and seasons?
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169708
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 4 Days ago  
Slough Town and Dorking

 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169712
andrew

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 4 Days ago  
Spee wrote:
Slough Town and Dorking



Did you play against Folkestone Invicta ?
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169714
andrew

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 4 Days ago  
Spee wrote:
Andrew - I played in the lower divisions of the Isthmian and Southern leagues. And soon discovered my glaring limitations.

However, the comraderie was great - and I still meet (and go to games with) many chaps I played with. Followed by a beer, or 6.

End of season tours - of Italy, Germany, France etc. - were high points, though lasting only a week or so. My first international sojourns.

To me sport - whatever one(s) catch your fancy - has a place in everyone's life, even if for some reason, you are unable to compete.




I was never great at sport even though I bloody tried at football in all positions at school .

I can't play cricket either but I embrace the sport. Wrestling in schools in the UK does not exist (can't see why) but is adored in schools in USA, some high school wrestlers ended up being rich and famous.

If you are a mma or wrestking fan buy Dan Seven autobiography.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169731
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 4 Days ago  
andrew wrote:
Did you play against Folkestone Invicta ?

Yes - a very good side.

Played at Cheriton Road a couple of times.


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169732
andrew

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 3 Days ago  
Spee wrote:
andrew wrote:
Did you play against Folkestone Invicta ?

Yes - a very good side.

Played at Cheriton Road a couple of times.




No doubt I have seen you play.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169775
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 2 Days ago  
If you did Andrew, you wouldn't have remembered.

For most of us mediocrities, it gave us the opportunity to see what we might have been - if we had been good enough.

And allowed is to meet all kinds, who play sport at different levels - and to make friends.

Not to have played would be totally incomprehensible; just like music is the life catalyst for so many others.


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169779
andrew

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 2 Days ago  
Spee wrote:
If you did Andrew, you wouldn't have remembered.

For most of us mediocrities, it gave us the opportunity to see what we might have been - if we had been good enough.

And allowed is to meet all kinds, who play sport at different levels - and to make friends.

Not to have played would be totally incomprehensible; just like music is the life catalyst for so many others.




You ever had a dual contract ?
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#169799
Spee

Re:Not sure about our draw for the World Cup 1 Week, 2 Days ago  
Never had a contract!


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Go to topPost New TopicPost Reply