cartoon

IMPORTANT NOTE:
You do NOT have to register to read, post, listen or contribute. If you simply wish to remain fully anonymous, you can still contribute.

Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
King of Hits
Home arrow Forums
Messageboards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
1967 Hendrix clip found - Possibly from ATV JK Show
Go to bottomPost New TopicPost Reply
TOPIC: 1967 Hendrix clip found - Possibly from ATV JK Show
1967 Hendrix clip found - Possibly from ATV JK Show 13 Years, 4 Months ago  

missingepisodes.proboards.com/index.cgi?...play&thread=5698

Good clip - but does JK think this is taken from one of his ATV shows?

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Re:1967 Hendrix clip found - Possibly from ATV JK Show 13 Years, 4 Months ago  
Hey, nice track!

Not too crazy about lip-synching though was he?

Logged Logged

Reply Quote
Which is why Chris and many others suspect it may be from Good Evening I'm Jonathan King - Jimi refused to do many shows and they tended to pirate the performances and dub them onto a local backdrop, making it seem that he was in their studio. They certainly seem to be wearing the same clothes as they did on my show and Jimi was a close personal friend (I played him The Leaves original Hey Joe and suggested he cover it - I still have his Thank You letter after it was a hit for him).

And it was indeed Lip Sync on Good Evening.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy

Jimi Hendrix arrived in London in September 1966 and recorded Hey Joe in October 1966, releasing it as a single in December.

Most stories have Hendrix becoming aware of the song via it's appearance on Love's debut album and after hearing Tim Rose perform a slowed down version Chas Chandler was the one who suggested that Jimi record the song. Tim Rose was appearing at Club Wha? in New York in 1966 at the same time Hendrix was playing there and Chandler was in New York so that all seems to be consistent.

So JK, when exactly did you first meet Jimi Hendrix and suggest he cover Hey Joe?

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
I met Jimi the night he arrived in London (at the Scotch in St James). He stayed with me as he had nowhere else to live. I have his thank you letter. There's not much more I can add as everyone else involved is now dead.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy

Somebody who isn't dead has told me in the past that Hendrix stayed with him that first night he was in london and then for the next couple of weeks.
That person is Zoot Money and I've subsequently read a colloraboration of his story by Andy Summers (ex Police) who was playnig with Zoot in a band they were in the process of forming called Dantalian's Chariot.
If you did introduce Hendrix to Hey Joe you should show a copy of the letter in the photos section of this website and start correcting the commonly held belief of how Jimi became aware of the song. It is an important piece of pop history and if you've got the evidence to back up your side of the story you shouldn't be shy in sharing it.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Do give Zoot my love - I'm sure he will confirm that Jimi stayed with many of us during his first weeks in Britain.

I played him The Leaves and he had never heard the song before. He adored it; we played it 20 or 30 times and he begged for my copy. I refused (it was only really a hit in California and hard to obtain - I think I still have the single) and made him a tape of it instead. I think you will find the wonderful bass line was "borrowed" - though slowed down - for his version and he used their lyric (not the Love/Rose one where they cowardly ditched the gun line).

I have to be honest - if I can find Jimi's letter in the chaos that is my home I shall put it up but really - who cares? It means virtually nothing to me; if I was going to make something up it would be a much bigger claim. If people prefer to believe another story it makes no difference to me.

I spent a lot of time then (as now) turning people on to great music; most of us did; I remember George Harrison bringing me back the single of It's In His Kiss - partly because he loved it and knew I would too but mainly because the artiste was Ramona KING and I was the other singing KING he knew!

I've been very fortunate to have a spectacularly happy life mixing with many of the major players in the species over the past 50 years. That is quite enough reward for me.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
veritas

I don't know about Hendrix's arrival in the UK or 'Hey Joe' but I was told many stories about Hendrix by the late Kit Lambert (who had Track Records of course) and some of them involved JK.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Well, here's a pic of you with Hendrix a few months after he arrived:

www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/3304553/Hulton-Archive

I believe the Hendrix clip they've rediscovered was recorded at Borehamwood (Elstree Studios) on 13 October 1967 for ATV's "Good Evening With Jonathan King" broadcast twice on 14 and 16 October 1967.
Does that sound right?

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Walter Mitty's Left Bollock

Someone's been rumbled.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy

Unfortunately Zoot’s wife is very poorly at the minute so he’s been out of circulation for a while. He still tours regularly, often in package shows that play the regional theatres around the country. You are right that Jimi was quite nomadic in those early days when he arrived in London and his most common sleeping arrangement was with the girl he met that particular night.

You should find that letter and if it does support your story have it published. In my opinion it is quite a big claim to be part of the launch of Jimi Hendrix’s career. It would also help correct the claims that Hendrix and Chandler heard the song at Cafe Wha? and observations that Jimi played the number live before travelling to London.

I am a regular visitor here but I have to admit I do question some of the statements you make about your projects. You are a very astute self publicist but tend to be prone to over exaggerations. You should be careful not to cross the line as you are also asking people to believe other (much more serious and important) claims.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
I've only known JK since the mid-1980s - when he used to regularly phone my business. Since the early 1990s I've had the pleasure of his company on many occasions. As his book confirms, he is one hell of a racontour, but in the hundreds of fantastic stories he has told me, I can confirm that either I KNOW every one is true, or, if I don't have experience of his story myself, know the facts stack up.

If you've had the wonderful experiences JK has had, I can't see any point in exagerating anything. You just DON'T NEED TO! (Oh, I've used BR's capitals there!).

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy wrote:
Unfortunately Zoot’s wife is very poorly at the minute so he’s been out of circulation for a while. He still tours regularly, often in package shows that play the regional theatres around the country. You are right that Jimi was quite nomadic in those early days when he arrived in London and his most common sleeping arrangement was with the girl he met that particular night.

You should find that letter and if it does support your story have it published. In my opinion it is quite a big claim to be part of the launch of Jimi Hendrix’s career. It would also help correct the claims that Hendrix and Chandler heard the song at Cafe Wha? and observations that Jimi played the number live before travelling to London.

I am a regular visitor here but I have to admit I do question some of the statements you make about your projects. You are a very astute self publicist but tend to be prone to over exaggerations. You should be careful not to cross the line as you are also asking people to believe other (much more serious and important) claims.

Seeing as we're all guests on here, that sounds remarkably bossy.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
All I can do is tell the stories as I remember them; I'm far too busy to waste time having to prove them all.

Feel free if you choose not to believe them.

I was there. But better than that, I'm still here!

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy

"Seeing as we're all guests on here, that sounds remarkably bossy"

I am expressing an opinion and making a suggestion. You may not agree with it and JK may not agree with it but it is an honestly held view and I am calling it the way I see it based on the facts as presented. It's not meant to be bossy but then any suggestion/recommendation anyone makes could be considered as being bossy.

Making false claims is a repeated subject on this board. If there is a way of proving something then that opportunity should be taken. The "Hey Joe" story is a real Forrest Gump moment and if true should be celebrated and given more publicity. Unfortunately everything I can find out about the origin of Jimi Hendrix performing the song cites Chas Chandler and Tim Rose to be the inspirations.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy - you're welcome to state your opinions. I only tell these stories to entertain, inform and amuse others. I have, believe it or not, no desire to impress. I've had a life packed with interesting encounters and incidents. It makes no difference to me whether people choose to think they are true, exaggerated or invented. Take from them what you will; if I ever come across Jimi's sweet letter I'll post it in Photos for you to see, but forgive me if the search is low on my priority list. Jimi and I know what happened and that is all that matters.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy wrote:
"Seeing as we're all guests on here, that sounds remarkably bossy"

I am expressing an opinion and making a suggestion.

We all express opinions on here. Most of us do so without getting so tetchy if someone else disagrees with us.

(A propos 'found' footage, albeit of a more modest nature: JK and Tommy Vance on Eamonn Andrews' Today programmme, tx: 18.06.75, has also turned up.)

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/13 09:55 By Prunella Minge.
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy

OK so you think I'm tetchy as well as bossy and I think you're a sychophant. We all have our opinions

"A propos 'found' footage, albeit of a more modest nature: JK and Tommy Vance on Eamonn Andrews' Today programmme, tx: 18.06.75, has also turned up" - No idea what point you're trying to make with that comment.

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Blue Boy wrote:
OK so you think I'm tetchy as well as bossy and I think you're a sychophant. We all have our opinions

"A propos 'found' footage, albeit of a more modest nature: JK and Tommy Vance on Eamonn Andrews' Today programmme, tx: 18.06.75, has also turned up" - No idea what point you're trying to make with that comment.

1. Don't be insulting.
2. No point - the thread was originally on clips being found. (Not everything's about you, you know.)
3. Learn some manners.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/01/13 17:30 By Prunella Minge.
  Reply Quote
Harry Redknapp

Actually it was me who introduced Jimi to 'Hey Joe'....and I bought him his first guitar.And I introduced Elvis to sam Phillips.And I took Paul McCartney to see the Quarry men, and I was at Dartford station when I introduced Mick to Keef, & it was me who 1st gave Bowie a Velvet Underground album,and I told George Harrison about ravi Shanker, and I told Malcolm McClaren to copy Richard Hell, and I spotted John Lydon on the Kings Road, and I bought Gary Numan a synth, and gave Morrisey his first sandie Shaw record and told Tony Wilson he should have a club in Manchester and he would transform the UK music scene, in his own head, and i gave Noel Gallagher a copy of Revolver and said 'this should keep you going', and I told Stock Aitken and Waterman not to bother programming anything, just turn everything on and press start - doesn't matter if the all sound the same - no-one will know, and I told Robbie he should re join, and knew the Arctic Monkeys when they were at school, and I am Florence's uncles friends cousins godfather and I told Simon Cowell not to go into the music business....please - but he did!

And now I'm signing David Beckham

But no-one believes me...

Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Go to topPost New TopicPost Reply