cartoon

















IMPORTANT NOTE:
You do NOT have to register to read, post, listen or contribute. If you simply wish to remain fully anonymous, you can still contribute.





Enter what you see:
This image contains a scrambled text, it is using a combination of colors, font size, background, angle in order to disallow computer to automate reading. You will have to reproduce it to post on my homepage Tip: Reload page if you have difficulty reading characters
Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
King of Hits
Home arrow Forums
Messageboards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPost New TopicPost Reply
TOPIC: Ginger Baker
#192915
Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago  
In 1966 we booked Ginger to play drums on my cover version of the new Bob Dylan song Just Like A Woman. He turned up at Lansdowne Studios with his foot in plaster and bandage. "You won't be able to kick the bass drum like that", I said. "Just watch me", he said. After the session I went down to the studio floor to thank him. His entire cast, from above the ankle to toes, was scarlet; not a speck of white. "My God", I said. "How did it sound?, he asked. "Brilliant", I replied. "That's all that matters", he said. "Ginger, you've given blood for me", I gasped.

RIP old mate. 80.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192919
Green Man

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago  
I have a very good friend who know Ginger quite well. He said he was one crazy old bastard but a rough diamond.

It was very rare to find him sober and not stoned. It was pity he got his son on H to combat stage fright.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192922
Barney

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago  
Very interesting. Have you met Bob Dylan?

Still performing, I believe about 200 concerts a year, has a place in Malibu (and elsewhere) - and is such a 'recluse' that he couldn't fit the Nobel Prize winning ceremony into his schedule.

Joan Baez, his friend, also remains very active - nursing her mother (in Malibu, also I believe) until her death at the age of 108!

I'm no music man - but wasn't Farewell Angelina a joint production, of B&J? 52 Gypsies - and all that.


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192927
Blue Boy

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago  
is such a 'recluse'

that he couldn't fit the Nobel Prize winning ceremony into his schedule.

Those are contradictory statements


To me Dylan is the most talented song writer of the last 100 years. His Never Ending Tour has now played over 3,000 concerts

About 20 years ago I saw him at Roseland ballroom in New York city. Sheryl Crow was the support act. For the encore he played Rainy Day Woman. Bruce Springsteen walked on stage from the left and from stage right Neil Young appeared. That was one hell of a surprise line up. I was close to the front and the memory still brings a smile to my gace.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192930
Barney

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 3 Days ago  
Blue Boy wrote:

such a 'recluse'

he couldn't fit the Nobel Prize winning ceremony into his schedule

contradictory statements



No m8 - the answer is blowing in the wind

Yes and how many people have died

Before they're allowed to be...



 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192934
Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
Barney wrote:
Very interesting. Have you met Bob Dylan?

Still performing, I believe about 200 concerts a year, has a place in Malibu (and elsewhere) - and is such a 'recluse' that he couldn't fit the Nobel Prize winning ceremony into his schedule.

Joan Baez, his friend, also remains very active - nursing her mother (in Malibu, also I believe) until her death at the age of 108!

I'm no music man - but wasn't Farewell Angelina a joint production, of B&J? 52 Gypsies - and all that.




For "not a music man", you are quite knowledgeable, Barney.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192939
Randall

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
Blue Boy wrote:

To me Dylan is the most talented song writer of the last 100 years.


He has some very stiff competition...

Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Max Martin have the most number 1 hits.

Plenty of songwriters are way beyond Bob Dylan by record sales: Madonna, Elton John, Mariah Carey, Eminem, Garth Brooks, Ed Sheeran (already!) and Kanye West, to name a few.

Johnny Mercer, Sammy Cahn, Alan Menken and Jimmy Van Heusen are multiple Best Song Oscar winners.

George and Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Hoagy Carmichael, Roy Orbison, Stevie Wonder, Duke Ellington, Bob Marley, Prince, Joni Mitchell and Billy Joel all deserve a mention. I don't know much about country but even I know and appreciate Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and John Denver songs.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192940
Green Man

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
Randall wrote:
Blue Boy wrote:

To me Dylan is the most talented song writer of the last 100 years.


He has some very stiff competition...

Paul McCartney, John Lennon and Max Martin have the most number 1 hits.

Plenty of songwriters are way beyond Bob Dylan by record sales: Madonna, Elton John, Mariah Carey, Eminem, Garth Brooks, Ed Sheeran (already!) and Kanye West, to name a few.

Johnny Mercer, Sammy Cahn, Alan Menken and Jimmy Van Heusen are multiple Best Song Oscar winners.

George and Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern, Irving Berlin, Hoagy Carmichael, Roy Orbison, Stevie Wonder, Duke Ellington, Bob Marley, Prince, Joni Mitchell and Billy Joel all deserve a mention. I don't know much about country but even I know and appreciate Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and John Denver songs.


Brian Wilson, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192941
Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
Oh yes - many but I tend to agree; Bob was the greatest.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192965
Blue Boy

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Greatest songwriter is obviously a very subjective choice but unlike say greatest singer I do think Dylan would be chosen by most music lovers in any poll. In the contemporary pop world there are certainly other great song writers. In addition to the ones mentioned above Chuck Berry in my opinion would be second with Carole King third but wouldn’t argue if someone said Paul Simon, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Davies, Dolly Parton , Neil Diamond, Bob Marley or Neil Young deserve to be in the top three but I would always defend my choice of Dylan as number one.

If the Beatles had a single creative force then that person would top the list but the song writing was split between Paul McCartney and John Lennon with (in my opinion) their best song “Something” written by George Harrison. The Rolling Stones and ABBA also fall into that category.

Although sales charts will give a popularity indication that’s all it is. Max Martin (cited above) for example has had lots of hits but it’s a bit like saying a clothes designer for Primark is as creatively talented as one working for Yves Saint Laurent. The Primark designer will shift more units but it will be a conveyer built approach with plenty of plagiarism. I would never say that Max Martin or any of other pop production people don't have lots of talent but when they say they are standing on the shoulders of giants then Bob Dylan is one the giants. Ask the current most popular song writer (Ed Sheeran) who he thinks is the greatest and I beleive you'll only get one answer, check Youtube to see how many different Dylan songs Ed has covered.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192966
Green Man

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Blue Boy wrote:
Greatest songwriter is obviously a very subjective choice but unlike say greatest singer I do think Dylan would be chosen by most music lovers in any poll. In the contemporary pop world there are certainly other great song writers. In addition to the ones mentioned above Chuck Berry in my opinion would be second with Carole King third but wouldn’t argue if someone said Paul Simon, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Davies, Dolly Parton , Neil Diamond, Bob Marley or Neil Young deserve to be in the top three but I would always defend my choice of Dylan as number one.

If the Beatles had a single creative force then that person would top the list but the song writing was split between Paul McCartney and John Lennon with (in my opinion) their best song “Something” written by George Harrison. The Rolling Stones and ABBA also fall into that category.

Although sales charts will give a popularity indication that’s all it is. Max Martin (cited above) for example has had lots of hits but it’s a bit like saying a clothes designer for Primark is as creatively talented as one working for Yves Saint Laurent. The Primark designer will shift more units but it will be a conveyer built approach with plenty of plagiarism. I would never say that Max Martin or any of other pop production people don't have lots of talent but when they say they are standing on the shoulders of giants then Bob Dylan is one the giants. Ask the current most popular song writer (Ed Sheeran) who he thinks is the greatest and I beleive you'll only get one answer, check Youtube to see how many different Dylan songs Ed has covered.


Blue Boy wrote:
Greatest songwriter is obviously a very subjective choice but unlike say greatest singer I do think Dylan would be chosen by most music lovers in any poll. In the contemporary pop world there are certainly other great song writers. In addition to the ones mentioned above Chuck Berry in my opinion would be second with Carole King third but wouldn’t argue if someone said Paul Simon, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Ray Davies, Dolly Parton , Neil Diamond, Bob Marley or Neil Young deserve to be in the top three but I would always defend my choice of Dylan as number one.

If the Beatles had a single creative force then that person would top the list but the song writing was split between Paul McCartney and John Lennon with (in my opinion) their best song “Something” written by George Harrison. The Rolling Stones and ABBA also fall into that category.

Although sales charts will give a popularity indication that’s all it is. Max Martin (cited above) for example has had lots of hits but it’s a bit like saying a clothes designer for Primark is as creatively talented as one working for Yves Saint Laurent. The Primark designer will shift more units but it will be a conveyer built approach with plenty of plagiarism. I would never say that Max Martin or any of other pop production people don't have lots of talent but when they say they are standing on the shoulders of giants then Bob Dylan is one the giants. Ask the current most popular song writer (Ed Sheeran) who he thinks is the greatest and I beleive you'll only get one answer, check Youtube to see how many different Dylan songs Ed has covered.


I asked my daughter's if they like Ed Sheeran ? They both said no we're not 11.

They both rummage through my collection when they stay and they do play my Kinks LPs full blast. I always found Kris Kristofferson to be underestimated as a song writer. I have seen him live a few times and was great each time.

Bob Dylan songs sound good when they were covered by Byrd's, Flamin' Groovies and Eiri Thrasher.


www.kingofhits.co.uk/index.php?option=co...;catid=5&id=1021

(Andrew, you always amazed me, you must keep in touch more)
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192967
Barney

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Presumably there's three main elements to a song - the structure, music and words.

Although no expert, I would consider Dylan to be the best at the latter.

Evidenced - to an extent - by his repertoire and Noble Prize win.

His music though may be slightly repetitious, although I've no idea who's better.


 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192969
Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Ah my beloved Eiri; still with us; still keeps in touch; if you like Kristofferson check out Eiri's duet with me of Help Me Make It Through The Night.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192971
Green Man

Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
JK2006 wrote:
Ah my beloved Eiri; still with us; still keeps in touch; if you like Kristofferson check out Eiri's duet with me of Help Me Make It Through The Night.

Do you have an upload of that song JK ?

Didn't Eiri give up music full time to be painter or something?
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#192972
Re:Ginger Baker 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Yes she became a very well respected painter. I think the track is on iTunes (it certainly should be).
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Go to topPost New TopicPost Reply