cartoon

















IMPORTANT NOTE:
You do NOT have to register to read, post, listen or contribute. If you simply wish to remain fully anonymous, you can still contribute.





Enter what you see:
This image contains a scrambled text, it is using a combination of colors, font size, background, angle in order to disallow computer to automate reading. You will have to reproduce it to post on my homepage Tip: Reload page if you have difficulty reading characters
Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
King of Hits
Home arrow Forums
Messageboards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPost New TopicPost Reply
TOPIC: The Labour Party
#206345
Wyot

The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
We are facing our worst economic crisis in living memory, but the Labour party is not calling for an increase in corporation tax as a solution:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-56246532

What is the point of such a "labour" party?

I miss the days when we had more than one party and choice at the polling station that could lead to actual change.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206347
Green Man

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
They are puppets Wyot.

I haven't stepped in a polling station for years, the leaflets get burnt for my log fire and if I want to hear BS I will talk to the drunks in the street.

I bought a tramp a can of Oranjeboom lager and he gave me a very entertaining yarn about he how beat the Yanks in Vietnam and thwarted an assassination attempted on Richard Nixon and ate a hamburger with him afterwards.

Thinking about it now it's more believable than the BS printed in the media and spouting from mouths of MP's.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206349
Wyot

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
I also think GM they are making a mistake (ok Keir mainly) in being so cowardly and trying to please everyone. You never will; you will just be despised.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206350
Jon Dolpho

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Wyot wrote:
the Labour party is not calling for an increase in corporation tax


Such increases could jeopardise our ability to entice inward investment - through attractive current levels. Frankfurt, Dublin and Paris - are watching closely.

Just 1p increases on income tax and NIC contributions would raise around £4.5 billion each - for example.

And 1% on VAT would generate £6.9 billion a year. Both parties would (and can) largely do the same things anyway.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206352
Wyot

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Jon Dolpho wrote:
Wyot wrote:
the Labour party is not calling for an increase in corporation tax


Such increases could jeopardise our ability to entice inward investment - through attractive current levels. Frankfurt, Dublin and Paris - are watching closely.



So we are always told - or variations thereof - when any suggestion is made that the wealthy pay more.

I don't buy it. And whether it is correct or not - to have a Labour party not calling for increased corporation tax at this time makes a mockery of their name, history and reason for being.

Starmer has also betrayed the workers by calling for ever more lockdowns and ensuring the mass unemployment in this class to come, just because he wanted to swim with the political tide on Covid. Just because he is a coward.

Corbyn would be screaming for corp tax increases (in fact I think he is...) because he is a man of his party and has integrity. Even if you disagree, or he is wrong. Like Thatcher as a Conservative. She was real not fake. And they both have/had courage to spare.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206356
Green Man

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Wyot wrote:
I also think GM they are making a mistake (ok Keir mainly) in being so cowardly and trying to please everyone. You never will; you will just be despised.

That has been my motto for years.

However I don’t trust Keir nor Boris nor would I trust them to feed my rabbit.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206379
Jon Dolpho

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Wyot wrote:
Jon Dolpho wrote:
Wyot wrote:
the Labour party is not calling for an increase in corporation tax


Such increases could jeopardise our ability to entice inward investment - through attractive current levels. Frankfurt, Dublin and Paris - are watching closely.



So we are always told - or variations thereof - when any suggestion is made that the wealthy pay more.

I don't buy it. And whether it is correct or not - to have a Labour party not calling for increased corporation tax at this time makes a mockery of their name, history and reason for being.

Starmer has also betrayed the workers by calling for ever more lockdowns and ensuring the mass unemployment in this class to come, just because he wanted to swim with the political tide on Covid. Just because he is a coward.

Corbyn would be screaming for corp tax increases (in fact I think he is...) because he is a man of his party and has integrity. Even if you disagree, or he is wrong. Like Thatcher as a Conservative. She was real not fake. And they both have/had courage to spare.




There'd be a major infux of business, across the water, into Dublin - where corporation tax is 12.5% - if we increased ours from 19%. Neither party is daft enough to commit economic suicide.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206380
Jon Dolpho

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Wyot wrote:
Like Thatcher as a Conservative. She was real not fake.


You would advocate Mrs Thatcher's corporation tax rates?

Of 34% to 52% - during her time!




 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206381
Wyot

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Green Man wrote:
Wyot wrote:
I also think GM they are making a mistake (ok Keir mainly) in being so cowardly and trying to please everyone. You never will; you will just be despised.

That has been my motto for years.



Yes I agree GM. Forget all the self-help books the key to success (and I am not necessarily talking about money) is genuinely not giving a shit what other people think about you.

I don't mean not caring or not listening or not changing your mind; but ensuring you are iron proof against the effects of other peoples views and whims. It's the only way you can stay genuine and on course.

Anyway enough of this uninvited self-help guru stuff from me!!
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206382
Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Barney I really would appreciate you taking your opinions and comments elsewhere.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206385
Wyot

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Jon Dolpho wrote:
[quote]Wyot wrote:
[quote]Jon Dolpho wrote:
[quote]Wyot wrote:


There'd be a major infux of business, across the water, into Dublin - where corporation tax is 12.5% - if we increased ours from 19%. Neither party is daft enough to commit economic suicide.


Why hasn't there then been a major influx of business into Dublin already given that our corporation tax is 19% and theirs is 12.5% currently?

If our current rate was 12.5% as well and it was proposed to raise it to 16% I bet you would be making the same point and would be wrong.

My simple point though - regardless of the outcome of corporation tax levels - is what is the point of a Labour party if it will not prioritise corporation tax over the income tax of the working people?

Who's interests does it represent in 2021?
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206388
Wyot

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Jon Dolpho wrote:
Wyot wrote:
Like Thatcher as a Conservative. She was real not fake.


You would advocate Mrs Thatcher's corporation tax rates?

Of 34% to 52% - during her time!



I would? Gosh I didn't know that - thanks for letting me know what I advocate.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206395
Green Man

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Wyot wrote:
Green Man wrote:
Wyot wrote:
I also think GM they are making a mistake (ok Keir mainly) in being so cowardly and trying to please everyone. You never will; you will just be despised.

That has been my motto for years.



Yes I agree GM. Forget all the self-help books the key to success (and I am not necessarily talking about money) is genuinely not giving a shit what other people think about you.

I don't mean not caring or not listening or not changing your mind; but ensuring you are iron proof against the effects of other peoples views and whims. It's the only way you can stay genuine and on course.

Anyway enough of this uninvited self-help guru stuff from me!!


I was waiting for a new book to come out.


Keir is part of the Davos scene Wyot so of course he wants everyone poor - he has the right connections so he will be fine regardless.

Lockdowns has done nothing but ruin jobs, livelihoods and caused mass suicides bigger than Jonestown.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206396
Green Man

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
JK2006 wrote:
Barney I really would appreciate you taking your opinions and comments elsewhere.

Barney is one of those floaters after a bad shit that don't flush.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#206400
Green Man

Re:The Labour Party 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Watching Keir now talk about Captain Hindsight.

No solutions to anything but bitch about things he wanted lockdown more than Boris.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Go to topPost New TopicPost Reply