cartoon

















IMPORTANT NOTE:
You do NOT have to register to read, post, listen or contribute. If you simply wish to remain fully anonymous, you can still contribute.





Enter what you see:
This image contains a scrambled text, it is using a combination of colors, font size, background, angle in order to disallow computer to automate reading. You will have to reproduce it to post on my homepage Tip: Reload page if you have difficulty reading characters
Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
King of Hits
Home arrow Forums
Messageboards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPost New TopicPost Reply
TOPIC: STUPID latest cricket row
#215359
STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
As the moral madness continues it seems the "victim" of racism has been tweeting anti semitic posts. Really it is time everyone (particularly media) grew up.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215364
Wyot

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
JK2006 wrote:
As the moral madness continues it seems the "victim" of racism has been tweeting anti semitic posts. Really it is time everyone (particularly media) grew up.

Yes and before you start throwing stones get your own house in order. I don't trust the testimony of a racist implying others are racist. If he did not recognise racism in himself how can we take him as a reliable barometer for recognising it in others?
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215368
Will

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
Being called a "p**i' is simple to recognise!
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215374
Honey

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
Will wrote:
Being called a "p**i' is simple to recognise!

Not really. There are parts of the country where that word is used by people who have Pakistani origins to describe themselves, and it is used quite freely.

It is the intention behind a word that matters, not whatever the current password to pc-ness is.

PS. In the same place they say "half-caste"
I very nearly fainted.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215376
Wyot

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
Will wrote:
Being called a "p**i' is simple to recognise!

"Only Jews do that sort of shit" is fairly simple to recognise too...

Both unpleasant comments; all should just apologise and move on.

If we rake over everyone's past this will never end. Retrospective "justice" (or rather here condemnation) will help no one and just further divide.

On the Jewish question read David Baddiel's excellent: Jews Don't Count.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215380
Will

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
The 'it happens everywhere' argument doesn't hold. Anyone calling or referring to individuals by certain names (even their own family and friends) has become totally unacceptable and often illegal.

'Micks; kikes; dykes; spics; queers; half-casts; etc.' are now deemed to be completely out of order. At home, in the work place, and in all locations; no matter what relationships may exist.

Even if the recipients seem unperturbed, and may sometimes join in; frequently in attempts to be part of the club. Racism is quickly joining incest on the list of things to avoid.

It's a pity many of us don't realise this seachange in worldwide society; but it's taking so long to adapt. Now we think migrants shouldn't come to the UK; look after ourselves first; let them drown, say some.

Sport has the first main conduit to publicly alert this particular type of bullying, to most.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215388
Honey

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
Will wrote:
The 'it happens everywhere' argument doesn't hold. Anyone calling or referring to individuals by certain names (even their own family and friends) has become totally unacceptable and often illegal.

'Micks; kikes; dykes; spics; queers; half-casts; etc.' are now deemed to be completely out of order. At home, in the work place, and in all locations; no matter what relationships may exist.

Even if the recipients seem unperturbed, and may sometimes join in; frequently in attempts to be part of the club. Racism is quickly joining incest on the list of things to avoid.

It's a pity many of us don't realise this seachange in worldwide society; but it's taking so long to adapt. Now we think migrants shouldn't come to the UK; look after ourselves first; let them drown, say some.

Sport has the first main conduit to publicly alert this particular type of bullying, to most.


You are saying that these people should be prosecuted for calling themselves a name in case they are offended by it?

Also, I didn't say it was happening everywhere. I referred to one place I have experienced. And no. These people most definitely did not wish to fit in or join the club. It was discussed in depth.

Why do some people get to choose their pronouns but My mate "Derek" cant say that "black" offends him and he prefers half caste?
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215390
hedda

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago  
I thought this was about the Australian cricket captain resigning over a "sexting" episode from 3 years ago which sounded totally innocent.

I can't keep up with it ..everyone's going to be cancelled.

Of course it's a desperate mainstream media who are indulging in picking over old sores and looking for the slightest mishap in anyone's life so they can rip them to shreds.

## we are being plagued with adverts here by Lord Ian Botham threatening to come to Oz for the cricket season ..talk about foul language..and just imagine Shane Warne today who seems to have sex texted half of Britain's young fillies
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215410
Will

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Honey wrote:
You are saying that these people should be prosecuted for calling themselves a name in case they are offended by it?


Perhaps, for the well known highly offensive names.

Shouldn't you be taken to task for publicly referring to a lesbian colleague as a dyke?

Or maybe it's just a bit of banter....
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215423
robbiex

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
The term P**i shop is often used in early episodes of the much-loved series "Only Fools and Horses", does this now need to be canceled.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215429
hedda

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Will wrote:
Honey wrote:
You are saying that these people should be prosecuted for calling themselves a name in case they are offended by it?


Perhaps, for the well known highly offensive names.

Shouldn't you be taken to task for publicly referring to a lesbian colleague as a dyke?

Or maybe it's just a bit of banter....


in my era (pre 1930 ) diesel dyke, poof, fag, shirt lifter, muff diver were all terms of affection used by those that were these things.

Apparently in early Australia the word "camp" was used instead of "gay" and came from the 1800s (before my time ) when rent boys had their police record stamped with K.A.M.P ..known as male prostitute.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215440
Honey

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Will wrote:
Honey wrote:
You are saying that these people should be prosecuted for calling themselves a name in case they are offended by it?


Perhaps, for the well known highly offensive names.

Shouldn't you be taken to task for publicly referring to a lesbian colleague as a dyke?

Or maybe it's just a bit of banter....


If she specifically asked me to call her that, then no, perhaps not.

I find it offensive that I must, in law, call ever hairy rapist who only decided last Monday that they want to be a woman, a woman, when biology and common sense tells me otherwise.

But in this case, we are protecting the feelings of the rapist, (and other trans people)not me.

So, with "Derek", we are told not to call him half-caste because it offends him.
Naturally, we want to avoid offending people. In this case, we are protecting the feelings of "black" people, not me.

But for Derek, the opposite happens. He is offended by being called black, and sees it as an insult to the white side of his family, because it is of equal importance.

Why would we insult him by calling him black?

My colleague "Abiba" who prefers to be called the P word instead of what she calls "generic dismissive terms that ignore her heritage" should have the right to choose also, don't you think?

Words evolve over time. Some people like "queer, some hate it. "Coloured" is polite, then offensive, then back to being polite as long as it is twisted very slightly into "of colour".

It is not the words, but the feelings behind it that counts. All these words can be a description and not a judgement, and all the correct terms could be said in scathing tones.


It is already acceptable for black people to call themselves N and openly sing it.

How are Derek and Abiba's preferences different to that?

And nobody mentioned "banter".
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215443
Wyot

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks, 1 Day ago  
Honey wrote:
[quote]Will wrote:
[quote]Honey wrote:


And nobody mentioned "banter".


This is Barney; you didn't have to mention what he quotes you on Honey.

Barney is to the strawman argument what clouds are to rain.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#215462
Green Man

Re:STUPID latest cricket row 2 Weeks ago  
robbiex wrote:
The term P**i shop is often used in early episodes of the much-loved series "Only Fools and Horses", does this now need to be canceled.

It's heavily edited on TV, all the old fashioned slurs are erased. Even Are You Being Served is edited on US broadcasts !
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Go to topPost New TopicPost Reply