cartoon

















IMPORTANT NOTE:
You do NOT have to register to read, post, listen or contribute. If you simply wish to remain fully anonymous, you can still contribute.





Enter what you see:
This image contains a scrambled text, it is using a combination of colors, font size, background, angle in order to disallow computer to automate reading. You will have to reproduce it to post on my homepage Tip: Reload page if you have difficulty reading characters
Lost Password?
No account yet? Register
King of Hits
Home arrow Forums
Messageboards
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Songs with Very High Voices
Go to bottomPost New TopicPost Reply
TOPIC: Songs with Very High Voices
#220278
Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
I spent the whole night with Kenny Everett. Yes it was a dream but my friend from the 60s and early 70s (and fortunately just before he died we had a massive, affectionate catchup) decided to visit my sleep. A lovely night but one of the things we talked about was his brilliant TV satire on The Bee Gees. Which made me remember this morning that track (not by him) which symbolises, to me, the greatness of British music in that era. I loved The Bee Gees and they were mass appeal. So much so that they could be cleverly satirised. I'm sure Barry, Robin and Maurice loved the send up. Imagine such a thing coming from British music today.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220289
Green Man

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
I have always found Kenny to be fascinating man. I didn't BBC biopic was any good and I wouldn't of called Kenny camp like the TV film portrayed.

Did you work this record JK ?

www.discogs.com/master/807720-Kenny-Everett-Nice-Time
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220329
Andy

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
www.discogs.com/release/1161985-HeeBeeGe...ing-In-The-Moonlight

Written by Philip Pope (of Radioactive, KYTV & Spitting Image) & Richard Curtis (yes that Richard Curtis!)
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220349
Andy

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
youtu.be/zlWqNl4Yips

The HeeBeeGeeBees - Dobbin Cribb (Philip Pope), Garry Cribb (Angus Deayton), Norris Cribb (Michael Fenton Stevens)
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220362
Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Brilliant tracks like these and lyrics like Noel Coward's Don't Let's Be Beastly To The Germans are so badly missing from today's music scene. Have we lost our sense of humour as a species? Has the simplification of morality changed things like irony and sarcasm? Can satire still exist? Ladies and gentlemen - if you have the time (almost 2 hours) and inclination, I point you at The Great ReSet - free on www.thegreatresetx.com
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220391
Andy

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Philip Pope had an outlet for his parodies with 7 series of Radio Active on Radio 4 in the 1980s, and all the songs he wrote for Spitting Image, but there certainly don't seem to be many new humorous musical performers about now apart from maybe Alex Horne & The Horne Section that ever get media coverage. Having grown up hearing Flanders & Swann, the Barron Knights & the Bonzos on the radio, everything now does appear to be more serious, at least in what makes it to playlists.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220401
Green Man

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago  
Andy wrote:
Philip Pope had an outlet for his parodies with 7 series of Radio Active on Radio 4 in the 1980s, and all the songs he wrote for Spitting Image, but there certainly don't seem to be many new humorous musical performers about now apart from maybe Alex Horne & The Horne Section that ever get media coverage. Having grown up hearing Flanders & Swann, the Barron Knights & the Bonzos on the radio, everything now does appear to be more serious, at least in what makes it to playlists.

Can you imagine "I Have Never Met a Nice South African" in today's cancel and woke culture. God forbid if George Formby - With My Little Stick Of Blackpool Rock. Was played George would be dubbed "rapey".

I doubt Drag Queen Blues by Richard Digance cause a stir, I remember the song got a lot of radio airplay as a kid.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220559
Rick

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month, 1 Week ago  
JK2006 wrote:
I'm sure Barry, Robin and Maurice loved the send up.

Barry didn't. He hated it. He said it 'cheapened' their own achievement. I always found it sad that he never seemed to realise how much the Bee Gees were respected. He was always very touchy about any perceived slight. The Beatles were amused by The Rutles. Barry would storm out if he thought anyone was poking fun at the Bee Gees. I guess because he never felt secure. Maybe he's changed now. I hope so - he's a heck of a songwriter.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220662
Green Man

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month ago  
Rick wrote:
JK2006 wrote:
I'm sure Barry, Robin and Maurice loved the send up.

Barry didn't. He hated it. He said it 'cheapened' their own achievement. I always found it sad that he never seemed to realise how much the Bee Gees were respected. He was always very touchy about any perceived slight. The Beatles were amused by The Rutles. Barry would storm out if he thought anyone was poking fun at the Bee Gees. I guess because he never felt secure. Maybe he's changed now. I hope so - he's a heck of a songwriter.


Was Barry the one who clashed with Clive Anderson in the mid 90's ?

I met Clive a couple of times, he has great sense of humour and loves to tease people in a good way. He has a twinkle in his eye when he keeps a straight face. His wife is a sweetheart also and she would roll her eyes at him if he getting carried.

Such a lovely couple.

Angus Deayton, is a bit of a strange bloke.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220663
Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month ago  
I was on Clive's show once - it went terrifically, with much banter and sending up. But my responses, winding him up, got much louder applause and laughter than his barbs did. So when the Edited show went out - not only had my responses been trimmed but the applause had been placed after HIS comments!
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220664
Green Man

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month ago  
JK2006 wrote:
I was on Clive's show once - it went terrifically, with much banter and sending up. But my responses, winding him up, got much louder applause and laughter than his barbs did. So when the Edited show went out - not only had my responses been trimmed but the applause had been placed after HIS comments!

That's shame I would of loved to of seen unedited edition. Clive is brilliant - he got to a chat about football with my friend. Clive tore in to him for supporting Fulham, when Clive said he supports 3 teams my friend reply to him was "trophy hunter." The both laughed hard at each other.

He loves a wind up and loves giving it large, but he gives huge respects to the person who gives it back to him. He has no big ego or 'you know who I am ? syndrome'.

Are you in touch with Clive Anderson JK ?
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220665
Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month ago  
No; after that we never spoke again! I seem to remember his other guest - Frankie Howerd - tried to chat me up!
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220667
Green Man

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month ago  
JK2006 wrote:
No; after that we never spoke again! I seem to remember his other guest - Frankie Howerd - tried to chat me up!

Never heard a bad thing about Frankie Howerd apart from if you were being a prat in like calling him out, he would flip you the bird. JK going out with Frankie Howerd - I could see it happening back in the day.

Kenneth Williams could be approachable also at the right time, he used to give a wonderful, camp wink at my Dad in a joking way. Then again Christopher Biggins also chatted up my Dad, he only said "hello" to him in Harrords and wanted my poor Dad in his flat ASAP.

My Dad use to see Peter Bowles and called him the world's best dresser.
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220671
Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month ago  
I was flattered by Frankie's attention. Very few ever fancied me unless I fancied them!
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
#220687
Green Man

Re:Songs with Very High Voices 1 Month ago  
JK2006 wrote:
I was flattered by Frankie's attention. Very few ever fancied me unless I fancied them!

So was Frankie too old for you ?

I do love your stories JK !
 
Logged Logged
  Reply Quote
Go to topPost New TopicPost Reply